Monday, August 18, 2008

Let the O' Go

Nearly everyone I know (myself included) refers to this steaming hot instant ramen noodle thing as Cup O' Noodles. But look at the package, it says Cup Noodles. Whenever I point this out to people, they are either flabbergasted or astonished (pick one).

I researched it on the Nissin website but came up short, so I sent them an e-mail. To my astonishment and flabbergastiment, they wrote me back hours later with a response!

Apparently the O' was added for the US market. It was dropped at some point in order to unify with the Asian market and the trademarked name of simply Cup Noodles.

So, there you go...information you didn't ask for. Stop using the O. Also, check out the Wikipedia entry to see some other Cup Noodles flavors from around the globe - Italian Tomato (Brazil), Spicy Duck (Thailand) and Beef Marrow (Philippines)!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Good information. I will try to adjust my words.

I like the spicy chicken (or is that their competitor's?), but plain old chicken is by far my favorite.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

I saw a filipino version of cup noodles in the filipino market before. it was called cup sarap. note: its cup sarap, not cup o' sarap, rolf!

Carrie said...

I've never had cup noodles before. I didn't realize people still eat this anyway--I thought it was a poor college kid thing.