Monday, April 20, 2009

It's Oh So Quiet

I've been working my new employer for a week now and the one thing I've noticed is that it's freakin' quiet. You could probably hear a mouse fart in the office. I held off on listening to music for the first few days but by Thursday, the quiet was driving me batty.

The other thing that kinda sucks is most of my favorite websites I check regularly are blocked - Yahoo mail, Facebook, etc. So, when I take my break and want a distraction, I fire up Safari and...have no clue what to look at. I can't read my email, I can't check social networking sites for any updates - it kinda blows.

We get a half hour for lunch, which is kind of nice because I leave at 4:30. It kind of eliminates going anywhere for lunch unless you hit up a fast food drive thru. But those are all minor things in comparison to having a regular job again.

3 comments:

addy said...

I can't handle quiet most of the time. Except really early in the morning when I am the only one here and can do what I want.

I guess you could blog on your time off... Do you get Google Reader?

Tyler said...

That sucks. Even Yahoo Mail? Their IT department must not have a whole lot to do.

Stragton said...

Proxy out. Google SSH tunnels.
Bag lunches save money and are much healthier. And! You can start bulking up too. 6 cans of tuna for lunch every day. Your co-workers will thank you when that kicks in. haha

My philosophy has always been if you are not a principle in the company that you can keep one foot out the door all the time to secure yourself.