Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Do It Again

When talking with fiancee the other day, I said even at my thirtywonderful years of age, I can tell some of my ships have sailed. She thought this was depressing and said I should never give up on something I wanted to achieve. My response was this isn't depressing because ultimately, I'm happy with my life and decisions I've made. I have a beautiful fiancee I can't wait to marry, a great family and friends I wouldn't trade for a crate of apples.

Still, I was thinking about it. Given a clean bill of health and a chance to do my career path over again, there are a few options I think would be fun to attempt:

- President. Why the hell not go for the biggest job there is. If Dubya could be elected twice, anything is possible. There's something cool about a politician that works his way up from local city councils to Mayor to Senator to President. Plus, seeing Obama in office and his commitment to changing things is inspiring. America has been around for over 200 years, and only 40 or so dudes have held this job. That would be cool to have your name on the list.

- Astronaut. If my brain had any capacity for science, this would have been fun. Again, the number of people with outer space travel on their resumes isn't that high, so it would be cool if I could do that, too. I don't reallly know what NASA does anymore besides send satellites up and occasional shuttle missions.

- Guidance counselor. This was actually something I seriously considered after getting laid off. Going back to school for this would have taken way too long for my patience level, and would have required well over 3 years to get the proper psychology degree(s). I talked to my guidance counselor 2 or 3 times in high school, and I always thought this was a way overlooked job. Especially nowadays, I think kids could use someone cool and easy to talk to more than ever. Unfortunately, I never considered a career path in psychology and now it's too late.

- Hollywood mogul. I think it would be fun to start off as some crappy production assistant and get to see all of this behind-the-scenes stuff. This occured to me when I saw The Price is Right and these 19-year old kids were directing people where to go. I thought to myself, "That looks like a crappy job...but they get to work on the set of TPIR every day." Fortunately, my parents had more ambition in mind for me than to toil away as a PA hoping to catch a break somewhere along the way. I like to think I'm good at networking and bullshitting with people so I think I could be good at that.

Perhaps in another lifetime. If I never get to be President, I'm okay with that. Like I said, I'm happy with the life I have!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You could not pay me enough money to be president.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

i'd vote for you.