Sunday, February 5, 2012

Larry David

I started getting into Curb Your Enthusiasm again, picking up with season 2. I swear I don't think I'm this bad but -- I could be looking into my future when I see the Larry David character. Sadly this show doesn't appeal to The Wife so she'll have to be surprised at how curmudgeonly I (may) get.

The episode that sparked this idea was one in which Larry and his wife decide to go out to dinner. His wife suggests they go to a bar at a hotel first for a drink. Larry questions this, asking if they have some special drink at this bar (they don't) and why his wife can't just order whatever drink she wants at the restaurant. After all, he reasons, it's the same drink. He doesn't want to drive to one place, park/valet, get out, have a drink, leave and then go park/valet at the restaurant.

It was at this point I could envision 45-year old Chris saying something like this to The Wife who, amazingly enough, hasn't left him yet. Larry's reasoning seems sound enough and there certainly is a hassle in going to two places.

Larry's wife explains it's not about having a drink, it's about the socializing and the atmosphere of the different places, and just going out. Larry still doesn't get it, she gets frustrated and they end up ordering take out.

So thank you Larry David for saving me from a potential argument in the future. Even if I do see your viewpoint on a lot of the nitpicky things.

No comments: