Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tweet Tweet

Ralph Garman on KROQ had one of his "Ralph's Rants" about Twitter, and to a lesser extent, social networking the other day. While I use Facebook and MySpace, I admit I am incredibly anti-Twitter. Ralph's stance is that because of the boom of the Internet and social networking, everyone thinks they're important and whatever is happening in their lives is important and has to be shared with as many people as possible.

As someone who writes on 5 different blogs, I like to think I'm the exception to that rule. I like writing, I like getting comments but if no one read my blog, I'd still write it.

Getting back to Twitter, though, I can't understand how 140 characters of anything is worthwhile. Receiving updates of the little things that make up people's lives is not a reason for me to sit in front of a computer screen. I saw on Dane Cook's blog (on MySpace), he was going to make some special announcements via his Twitter account. So it's not enough that a person (not me) reads his blogs, or checks his website regularly, now they have to sit in front of their screen with Twitter open just to get a password for his ticket onsale or whatever the hell he was announcing...?

They took some phone calls from listeners who said they love Twitter because it lets them stay in touch with their friends. To which Ralph's response was, "How about picking up the phone or writing a damn e-mail?" My thoughts exactly. :)

If, and this is a huge IF, I ever got a Twitter account, I'd just post completely inane stuff on there so I could maintain a steady follower count of zero.

Twitter update: I'm pooping.
Twitter update: I just Tweeted.
Twitter update: I just Tweeted that I Tweeted.

4 comments:

PunkRoqPrncess said...

twitter update: i just read chripher's blog.
twitter update: now im gonna leave a comment
twitter update: now im gonna post it.

Tyler said...

Yeah, I don't the Twitter phenomenon either. From what I've heard, Twitter is going out of style; Tumblr is the next big thing.

Stragton said...

Since you bring that up it reminds me of something. I like to invent things some times...

One idea was to have a twitter feed combined with a roll of toilet paper and an automatic toilet paper feeder. As you poop you keep up with your friends and the more you poop the more social you are. Some times you can have one of those accidental out-loud chuckles that you hope no-one outside the bathroom heard.

For the more advanced user you could have multiple rolls of twitter paper.


twit: BTW you are all now under NDA's. All are subject to terms and conditions relating but not said products and Twitter Paper, Inc can not be h
twit: dammit they cut me off
twit: I just sank your battleshift ;)

addy said...

I totally love Twitter so I can't really say anything about this one! :-)