Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tragedy

Sorry, but this will be a weird start back to blogging. Posts will be forthcoming about the wedding but I have to get this out there because something hit me hard on Tuesday morning. My Mom asked me if I went to school with someone, and I said yes, and then she said his obituary was in the paper that morning. This wasn't a close friend of mine by any means, maybe more like an acquaintance, I guess. I knew him and had classes with him going back to 6th grade through high school graduation.

I read his obituary and then found the actual news story online, where he and his wife passed away in a car accident last week. For most of the day, I've been quiet and introspective. This is a guy who was 31 - like me. He was married - like me. And now he won't get to celebrate his 32nd birthday, but I will. He won't get to have kids, but I will. Just like that, his life was tragically lost in a car accident where he wasn't even driving.

I don't think I can make any sense of it at this point, and I don't know if I will. It's a weird mix of having a very heavy heart today, yet also feeling grateful for what I have.

Another guy I went to high school with passed away 2 years ago due to medical complications and that one hit me, too. But not like this. Just a really strange feeling. Sorry my first blog post back had to be a downer.

My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and for Pete's sake, hug your loved ones a little tighter next time you see them.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That is really sad. :(