Tuesday, December 1, 2009

KISS

I was finally able to cross one band off my List of Bands I Should See Before They Retire (or I Die). I wanted the best, I got the best - I'm talking about the hottest band in the land - KISS!

The concert was at Staples Center last Wednesday and it was pretty good. The opening act was Buckcherry who we heard as we were walking in and finding our seats. We caught their last 4 songs and they were alright. The guy sitting next to me decided to strike up a conversation and asked how many times I'd seen KISS. I told him this was my first and he said this was his 8th time, but "usually he's hanging out with the band and watching the show from backstage." I didn't press him for information but going from backstage to the nosebleed section is quite the downgrade. He then started talking to me about pro wrestling at which point I was dumbounded. I have a passive interest in both KISS and pro wrestling but this dude was pretty weird to begin with. The Wife was getting annoyed with him so we got up to "get a drink" and said "we'd be right back" but we eventually returned to our seats when the lights when down for KISS.

They opened up with "Deuce" and "Strutter" and played for over 2 hours total. It was a good show with lots of pyrotechnics, flashpots, fireworks and whatnot. I was a little disappointed with some aspects of the setlist (like 2 songs from the new album and some older cuts like "100,000 Years" and "Shock Me.") We did get the classic staples like "Detroit Rock City" and "Shout It Out Loud" a few surprises like "Calling Dr. Love" and "Lick It Up." Overall, I'd give the show an 8 - I'm glad we went but I don't need to rush out and see them the next time they come through on tour.

7 comments:

Tyler said...

Did you go in full face makeup?

Chris said...

Sadly, no, I did not dress up. My make up would have come out crappy. I did, however, take my picture with "Paul Stanley" before the show. I'll throw it up on Facebook when I get a chance.

Erica said...

Alright, I can't take it anymore. You have got to stop referring to Kareena as The Wife. She has a name, so you should use it. Let's hope she is more than just your wife for goodness sakes.

Crazy and irked by the weirdest things,

Erica

Chris said...

Of course she is more than just my wife! I refer to her as that on here to avoid using her real name. She's always been kind of skittish about what information is posted online. She even used a pseudonym when she had her own blog - I do it more for her peace of mind (and to avoid getting in trouble!) than anything else.

Perhaps I should just start referring to her as K or something...? Hmmm.

Tiffany said...

I really like it when you refer to her as the new wife. As though you had an old wife at some point in time.

Erica said...

Ok, ok...I get it now. Glad to hear you aren't like those guys at work who always talk about The Wife. I'll just do the substitution myself.

-E

Ken Napzok said...

I saw Kiss on Halloween night in 1996, first reunion tour. I went as Peter Criss. Do I win anything from Chris Keifer? Please say I do. I could use a break...