Saturday, January 9, 2010

End of the Year Recap

I know we're already more than a week into the new year but is it too late for a 2009 look back...? It is? Too bad.

2009 was a weird year for me. January through April saw me struggle to find a full time job again and balance my schoolwork. I finally landed a job in April although not one I am happy with. It's a very weird thing to work out of obligation instead of choice. If I would have seen the job posting for my current job while I was previously employed, I would have laughed. The work is monotonous and the website is atrocious! Yet...I work there doing stuff I could probably train someone with zero knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite to do. *sigh* It's something I still struggle with.

Part of me feels like I won't feel comfortable until I'm back in a situation / salary as I had at my previous job. And then part of me worries I won't feel that way even if I do get there again.

On the plus side, 2009 was the year I got married!!!! We planned our own wedding and had a reception in my Grandma's backyard. Hopefully it came off as "low key" rather than "cheap" or "ghetto." Because we really did want something low key and wanted to avoid the formulaic country club reception with filet mignon dinner. Not that there's anything wrong with that - there's really not. It was a lot of stress and I think The Wife and I probably got pissed at each other more in the months planning our wedding than at any previous point in our relationship but we're happy with how everything turned out. We were blessed to have so many family members fly out to be there on our special day, and be surrounded by our many local friends and family, too.

Other good news for the year included the birth of another nephew, and getting a Wii for Christmas.

¡Here's to 2010!

3 comments:

addy said...

It was a beautiful wedding! I loved it and thought it was a perfect mix of casual and elegant! So glad I got to help out with the photography!

Tyler said...

I hear you about the work obligation thing. I've been feeling like work is an obligation lately and I don't know if I'm ever going to feel like my job is fun ever again; I think that's the problem with in-house design.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Aaron's birth in the same sentence as the Wii. At least you mention him first. :)