Monday, December 29, 2008

Top Movie of 2008

I was thinking about doing a Top # list, but this year was really hit and miss for movies. Movies that had incredible potential, like The Forbidden Kingdom, fell short. Movies that were hugely popular, like The Dark Knight, left me not believing the hype. So instead, you get my top pick for 2008 - Iron Man.

I got the DVD for Christmas and re-watched it. It's the perfect balance for a film that needs to introduce the character to a new audience and pleasing the comic book fans. Robert Downey Jr. is perfectly cast as the asshole Tony Stark can be. It has humor when it needs to, drama at the right points and the right amount of action. In a word, the movie is flawless. Okay, maybe not. The performance of Terrence Howard annoyed me this time around - maybe it's because I know he's not coming back for the sequel so I was looking to dislike him.

Marvel has turned the Iron Man character into a major player in the comics over the past 2 years and this movie launches him into the popular world up there with the Spider-Man movie franchise. I'm looking forward to the sequel and the rest of the Avengers franchise over the next few years. Job well done, Mr. Favreau and Marvel studios.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Terrence Howard annoyed me the first time around and he was downright unbearable when I watched it a couple of days ago.

I watched the Dark Knight again and, I gotta say, I liked it even more the second time around. I liked Iron Man a little less the second time I saw it.