Thursday, February 3, 2011

Daughters

First things first -- the Wife is NOT pregnant.  I couldn't think of anything better suited to title this blog post, but I'll go ahead and state again, The Wife is not pregnant.

So.  One of the things that terrifies me about being a parent is the thought of having a daughter.  Don't get me wrong - I think very highly of the opposite sex and am fortunate to be surrounded by great, strong women in my family and my friendships.  But the thought of raising a girl from birth seems, to me, infinitely more terrifying than raising a boy.

Comedian Jay Mohr once said that when you raise a boy, you worry about his penis.  When you raise a girl, you worry about everyone else's.  It's not only that, but also the possibility of high levels of drama and the fact that I grew up with a brother and know very little about being girly.

But I may be coming around to the possibility of one day being a father to a girl.  At Christmas, we hung out with The Wife's family, including her cousin and his wife, who have an adorable 3 (or 4?) year old daughter.  We were talking to them and they were saying that she is more into comic books and wrestling around than she is girly things.  If you gave her a choice between a Barbie doll and a Batman figure, she'd choose Batman.  She would also choose watching MMA over watching a Dora.  She's not a tomboy but then again, it may be too early to tell.  The point is she was absolutely adorable, into nerdy things and made me much less frightened about raising a daughter one day.

2 comments:

addy said...

I've given a lot of thought to which gender kid I'd prefer to have, and it's basically a draw. I think that it's kind of up to the kid - you might have a girl who's into super nerdy, traditionally guy things, or a boy who's into things you wouldn't expect from a boy. You just have to go with what the kid likes and wants, and try to guide them into not liking douchey things. ;-)

Tyler said...

I feel the same way, but whenever the kid convo comes up with Lisa I joke that I hope we have twin daughters so they can get basketball scholarships and we don't have to pay for college.

But secretly I am only half-joking. College is expensive.

My word verification was whwoomm