Sunday, June 19, 2011

X-Men: First Class

Why are you posting your X-Men review so soon, Chris?  Yeah, yeah...anyway.  The Wife and I saw this opening weekend and were both blown away by it.  I loved the original movies in the X series (YES, even The Last Stand) but wasn't really excited when I heard they were making X-Men: First Class.

I understand the movie studio wants to keep the franchise going and in fact, have a need to keep the franchise going.  Basically when Marvel started getting into the movie business, they signed away certain rights to the studios and the studios have to use the characters rights or else they lapse back to Marvel.  Hence why you have a Spider-Man movie coming out next year, a Daredevil movie in the works and a Fantastic Four reboot coming down the pipeline.

Anyway, I thought this film was really strong overall.  I loved the backstory and history between Xavier and Magneto...I think it could almost be considered a Magneto movie in a sense.  My least favorite part of the movie is when all of the X-kids get together and start showing off their powers.  I guess that is what would likely happen - it just seemed a little cheesy and an excuse for the movie to show the viewer what each character can do.

I loved the surprise cameos in the film and I came away from it all becoming a really big fan of Magneto.  You really start to sympathize with the guy and the reasons why he sees the world the way he does.  Will definitely buy this one on DVD when it comes out and am looking forward to future installments of the X franchise if they can pull off something like this again.

No comments: