Monday, December 12, 2011

Ednaswap

Thinking about the Katy Perry song "The One That Got Away" and the overproduced pop version versus the stripped down emotional version reminded me of one of my favorite bands of all time - Ednaswap.

Ednaswap was a band I first saw open up for Better Than Ezra in 1996 at The Roxy and I was immediately hooked.  Thankfully, they were a local band so I had a chance to see them multiple times and meet them at least twice.  Ednaswap was responsible for writing the song "Torn" which was covered by Natalie Imbruglia to great success.  Natalie's version is overly poppy and lacks the true emotion of the song as you can see in the live performance here:



*sigh*  I really, really miss Ednaswap.  So whatever became of them?  Some of them formed the band AnnetennA which lasted a little while and recorded a stellar debut album, but then broke up.  The primary songwriters, singer Anne Preven and guitarist Scott Cutler, went on to become songwriters for others including Katy Perry, Madonna, Miley Cyrus and many others.  They were even nominated for an Academy Award and Golden Globe for the song "Listen" from the movie Dreamgirls, so I'm pretty sure they're content.

Still, I really miss them.  If they did a reunion concert, I'd be there in a heartbeat.  Their albums are available on all of your favorite digital music channels so do yourself a favor and give 'em a listen.

1 comment:

lacet said...

i like the ednaswap version of 'torn' too! i have it on my ipod :D