Thursday, April 14, 2011

EERT

I signed up to be on my company's EERT - Employee Emergency Response Team.  It's entirely voluntary but I've always been something of a safety nerd.  Also, I think a part of it stems from my desire (yet utter failure) to be a police officer.

So anyway, I will get a nerdy safety vest and flashlight to keep at my desk.  Over the next several months, I will also be trained in CPR, evacuation procedures, first aid, disaster relief, hazard material spills and several other things.

The first session is on fire extinguisher use where the Fire Department will show up to supervise, and we will actually get to put out fires they set in the parking lot.  I've walked past dozens of fire extinguishers in my life and I think I know how they operate, but this will be my first chance to do it in a controlled environment.  Might as well learn in a safe environment rather than freak out and guess when there is an actual fire.  Anyway, I'm a dork so I am really looking forward to learning all of this stuff.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

It's pretty easy, point it at an angle at the base of the fire from about 3-4 feet away.

During the training, they should lit a controlled fire for you take turns putting out (which is a lot of fun).

Diane said...

Let's have some other examples of how you're a safety nerd. I've known you for 13+ years and this is something I did not know about you.

Chris said...

I pretty much always read the safety card before a flight because I find that stuff interesting. I asked for a roadside assistance kit for Christmas. I wanted to buy a fire extinguisher as one of our first room purchases.