Monday, April 11, 2011

Research

Nothing annoys me more than flybys people that don't do their research.  I received an email recently about something called the Triangle of Life.  It is supposedly an effective way to save yourself during an earthquake whereby, instead of getting under a heavy object, you simply crouch next to it.  Huh?

I've lived in California for 32 years, experienced a number of earthquakes and have never heard of this.  So, since I access my email through the Internet, I opened up another browser window (whoa, multiple windows!) and Google'd that.  Lo and behold, one of the first matches that came up is a favorite website of mine called Snopes.  Snopes basically seeks to debunk or confirm a lot of those email forwards, and nonsensical information floating around the Internets.  The Snopes article basically says the Triangle of Life is a mixture of misinformation, and goes on to provide links to safety experts such as the Red Cross and FEMA.

All of my "research" took about 20 seconds and then I didn't have to forward an email full of misinformation on to my loved ones.  People out there, do your research.

2 comments:

kristen said...

it always blows my mind that everyone doesnt automatically check snopes first!!!

PunkRoqPrncess said...

this is worse than flyby's