Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thirty

I'm turning 30 in a little less than two weeks and I've decided to do something different - I'm going to embrace the hell out of it. It seems a lot of people are sad or ambivalent about turning 30 but I'm going to take it and run. 30 is a great number. It's like my favorite number 9. Times 3. Plus an additional 3.

I remember one friend told me turning 28 was a downhill slide into 30. Sometimes I feel old, sometimes I look old, as evidenced by the white chest hair I found last night. Seriously, God? My chest needs to have white hair, too? Is it to match the white hair in my goatee? But anyway, I don't feel like I'm behind at this point. I've got a wonderful girl, a decent job and I'm happy with life.

However, I have noticed I get more cautious as I get older. Ten years ago, I would have jumped my bicycle off a massive dirt hill and felt an adrenaline rush, as I head back to do it again. Now, I make sure my safety gear is on and the tires are properly inflated. So I'm not afraid of you, 30. You hear me? I'm going to dive into 30 head first. I'm just going to make sure my helmet is secure first.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

You should see how cautious I am with balls on the court. I think playing with senior citizens has made me nervous about breaking my hip.

addy said...

I am excited for you! And don't worry, Sean is only 28 and he is starting to get gray hairs in his sideburns. (Shh I didn't tell you that) He blames me. I blame his dad. 30 is going to be a good year for you, I think.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

age is but a number. happy 30th chripher (a week and a half early)! and may you have many MANY more to come :D

Tyler said...

It's going to happen if you want it to or not, so your attitude is a good one to have.

I think I'm going to go to the comic con the day after your thing at Toast. If you're not too hung over, let me know if you wanna go.

Tyler said...

Shattner is going to be there. You could probably get him to sign that TJ Hooker picture you have framed in your bedroom.