Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dear Marvel - Don't Mess This Up

As most of you know, I'm a comic book dork and therefore, a comic book movie dork. Marvel Studios has been a roll lately with Iron Man and Incredible Hulk. They're producing their own movies which means they can cross their characters over on screen. I almost wet myself when they announced Iron Man II and Thor coming out in 2010, followed by Captain America and then Avengers in 2011. For those unfamiliar, the Avengers are a team of superheroes with Iron Man, Thor and Captain America being the Big Three of the group, so they're building to this.

As if I need another reason to love her, my girlfriend and I have been debating over who would be the perfect Captain America. Since I'm a huge fan of him, I'm hoping their casting is perfect. Cap was part of the program in World War II to create super soldiers, then gets frozen in the Arctic and wakes up in the modern day. The character is a strong leader, a military man and a serious badass. So, I present to you my Top 3 Choices to Play Captain America:

1 - Bruce Willis. Sure, he's 53 years old and bald but is there a more badass action hero than Bruce Willis? No, and I will debate anyone on this. Just look at any Die Hard movie or Tears of the Sun, and you know he's got the skills to pull it off.

2 - Kiefer Sutherland. He's a badass on 24 every week, and he's kind of got the look of Steve Rogers anyway. He's 41 years old which may be a bit old - I think Cap is like mid-30s in the comics.

3 - George Clooney. Batman 4 wasn't his fault, so get over it. He was a badass in From Dusk Till Dawn and played military pretty well in Three Kings. Again, at age 47, he's probably too old but I think he could do it.

I just hope to God they don't go with some unknown actor, or some pansy like Leonardo DiCaprio or Matt Damon.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Yeah, I really hope they don't screw this up. They seem to be able to draw better actors with each hit they have, and casting is going to be key for the Cap and Thor movies.

Thor is the one that has me worried the most because developing a comic around a Norse God of Thunder is pretty easy; developing a movie around that idea, not so easy.

Hopefully when the Avengers movie comes out, it will be the awesomeness. Then it's all downhill from there.

Chris said...

Yeah, Thor is going to be very difficult, too. I've heard Kevin McKidd from Journeyman is in the running. He's got the look for Thor or Cap, he just needs to bulk up a bit. Brad Pitt did a good job as Achilles in Troy but I don't know if he's the comic book type.

Tyler said...

Word. Kevin McKidd as Cap would be bombsauce. He is a great actor, it sucks that Journeyman got canceled. If you get a chance, add all of the seasons of Rome to your Netflix queue. He was in that and that whole series was excellent.

Triple-H as Thor would be gimmicky, but it would totally work.