Thursday, July 15, 2010

Food Nights

I've never proclaimed myself to be a scientific expert, but I have observed something from the world of entertainment on two occasions. Once I have a third example, I will consider this to be fact but in the meantime, I present a tentative hypothesis - designated food nights may contribute to sour relationships.

In the episode of LOST titled "I Do," Kate tries to settle down with a normal guy and live a normal life. She goes to the grocery store to pick up stuff for "Taco Night" and ends up crying, leaving her fiancee and admiting that she "just can't do Taco Night."

In the 1986 movie About Last Night..., one guy teases another about becoming domesticated and having a weekly Sandwich Night in their meal plan. I believe it comes up later in the movie as a point of contention in his relationship.

Personally speaking, I think food nights sound like a good idea since it's planned ahead and takes the guesswork out of planning at least one meal a week. I believe these examples from entertainment media had both of their food nights take place on a Wednesday, so perhaps that is the point that leads to conflict.

Further research must be done.

1 comment:

Candace said...

My findings...

We do really good on the meal planning, by trying to try new stuff but end up eating a lot of the same, then we get burnt out on it for awhile and just eat whatever for two weeks or so.

I think if you are too regimented you do start to go insane. So I'll buy into "I just couldn't do taco tuesday" anymore b/c who f-ing wants tacos every tuesday for the rest of their lives!?! NO ONE!

It's nice to look forward to something...the basic need is- food- BUT the brain craves- variety. This is why you have raisin bran (or whatever) come out with "new packaging, but same great taste" simple variety to trick the brain.

So, keep trying new things in the kitchen to keep things going? Maybe throw something kinky in there :) I think that keeps relationships sweet and not sour :)