Thursday, August 5, 2010

San Francisco

As part of our Northern California adventures, the Wife and I went up to San Francisco for the day. My previous two experiences in SF probably combined for a total of 8 hours - 3 of which were spent at a concert. So this was kind of my first real chance to explore SF and...I kinda had some issues with it. The traffic is f'ed up. The streets and navigating your way around are f'ed up. Parking anywhere is f'ed up...everything is crammed in and feels really tight.

However, I had a good time, probably because I wasn't doing the driving. We parked at Ghirardelli Square and walked over to Fisherman's Wharf where I tried the famous, yet unimpressive, Fishwich. On our way back, we went to Ghirardelli's to get a milkshake and to get our parking validated. Said milkshake cost $6 and the guy informed us we had to spend $20 there in order to get validation. So you have to spend $20 to get a $10 validation credit...? Sounds like a deal.

Luckily, I walked to the diner next door where the 16-year old host couldn't care less and gave us validation. We then found our way over to Golden Gate Park which also proved confusing. *sigh* Oh, San Francisco, I want to like you more but you make it a little difficult. I'm looking forward to seeing how you and I do next time.

1 comment:

Candace said...

The first HUGE fight I ever had with Skyler was during our first trip to in San Fran when we continued to miss the tiny turn-off for the parking garage and had to re-route ourselves in my stick-shift Rav that Skyler happened to be driving and was not super comfortable with on the hills. NOT A FUN WAY TO FIND THAT OUT!! Poor, poor Hong Kongian that was sitting in the backseat! Thank goodness we had been roommates for a semester so she didn't think we were complete lunatics!!

I say give it another try? Even with all of the headaches, I love that crazy city! I've been many times with the family, friends, and 2 times for school type events, AND even back with Skyler too! :) Shopping, food, culture, the BART, close to UCB (if the hippie scene is your thing?) , Stanford, pretty parks, museums, sports events, concerts...* Maybe structure your next trip around an event? It's like LA but way more awesome!