Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Improv Blah

Improv this week was kinda challenging.  We didn't have a lot of time for scenes and for some reason, I tend to wait until the middle, or near end, of the volunteers to go onstage.  I need to get better about being proactive.  So I went up and had a not very good scene with a super nice guy that owns a restaurant in Camarillo.

Earlier in class, the teacher said that a lot of students will ask him, or wonder to themselves, after a scene, "What could I have done to make that better?"  And his answer is "nothing."  The scene is what it is.  Improv is about the moment.  The moment is over so forget about it and move on.  I tried to incorporate that after I walked offstage but it was hard.

Time was running out in class and everyone had gotten at least once scene in, so people were allowed to start going up again.  Once more, I sat out, feeling that this just wasn't my night.  I finally just said to myself "F it" and I went up and did the last scene of the night with my coworker that I carpool with.  I purposely try to avoid doing scenes with him because even though we are friends, I don't want it to seem like we have some master plan to do a bunch of our scenes together.

Luckily, our final scene went well and I ended up leaving the class with a good feeling.  I thanked my coworker on the way home because otherwise, that night would have been (mostly) a waste to me.  Ah, a nearly frustrating evening saved by a 3-minute scene about carving a chair for my scoliosis-laden dad.  Thanks, improv.

No comments: