Saturday, January 28, 2012

Podcast Overload

I think I may be "over" listening to podcasts.  There were some days at work when I'd have 4 or 5 different podcast shows to catch up, each with multiple episodes.  I wouldn't get to listen to any music and at the end of the day, I would find myself not remembering anything significant about the podcasts.  So if none of these podcasts were making any impression on me whatsover, why was I spending so much time listening to them?  Plus I get pulled away from my desk a lot so it's hard to listen to a continuous conversation.

I started cutting back on my subscription list by axeing I Want Wrestling, Kevin & Bean Show, Mohr Stories and even my beloved Walking the Room.  Sorry, guys.  Even a weekly podcast seems so disposable when you realize you can't remember what they talked about last week.  The only one I listen to daily is Adam Carolla, and I am still subscribed to The Art of Wrestling and the B.S. Report but I will only listen to those if the topic/guest seems entertaining.

At least I have a lot more time to listen to music.

Is anyone out there listening to any podcasts, or multiple podcasts, with regularity?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I do listen to podcasts, and usually will listen to them when I'm in the kitchen making dinner or cleaning around the apartment, and sometimes when I am working on some design project, but don't need to think too hard.

Sometimes I miss listening to music, but when I do, I just start listening to music and let the podcasts pile up. It doesn't really hurt me to have them there.

The podcasts I like to listen to regularly are the Madeline Brand Show (covers a large range, they usually start out with politics/news, and then they talk about other types of interesting stories), The Splendid Table (about cooking), and This American Life (longer, interesting essay-type episodes...I think you would really like that one). I also like the Moth (for shorter 15-minute episodes...I think you would really like this one, too...it's true stories told by people without notes). I also like to listen to the Religion & Ethics Newsweekly, but their volume is really low, so I can really only listen to them when I am at the computer.