Sunday, February 26, 2012

Retirement

For the past three or so years, my Sundays were busy with softball.  I have skipped games because of birthdays, anniversaries, vacations and other reasons but for the majority of the last three years, you could find me on Sunday afternoons pitching slow pitch co-ed softball.

I have enjoyed my time playing immensely but I am retiring soon.  Part of the reason is the drive out there to play.  Part of the reason is to spend more time with The Wife.  Part of the reason is there is a sketch writing class I am eager to sign up for.  But the main reason is simply because I haven't had that many free Sundays.

I found myself enjoying the Sundays without games.  The ones where I got to enjoy a birthday gathering, or a trip to a museum.

So, this Spring season is winding down and we have a chance to make it into the championship game.  We've made it to the championship game twice in my tenure but come up short both times.  Winning this one would be a fantastic way to end it.  I may eventually end up playing one off games here or there when they're short on guys but for the most part, I think I'm ready to move on from my Sunday softball obligations.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Leave it all out on the field and go out on top.

Jenny said...

I miss playing on Sundays...sometimes. Mostly, though, it is nice to be able to think to myself, "huh, I wonder what I should do now..." instead of thinking "Ok, I have 1 hour before I have to go play and then 1 hour after I have to have dinner ready" or something.

Chris said...

That's exactly how I feel/felt Jenny! There were so many times we'd be out running errands and it would be like, "No, we have to skip that, or cut this short because I have to get home and change and..." plus I had a half hour drive to the fields on top of that!