Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fables

A comic book I have really gotten into lately is called Fables.  It was recommended on a podcast.  I reserved the first two graphic novels from my local library to try it out and ended up loving them, so it went on my Christmas list and I just finished the 5th trade paperback collection.

Fables is similar in concept to the current ABC series Once Upon a Time -- fairy tale characters in the real world, although the comic predates it by at least 9 years.  The TV producers have said they feel the show may have a similar starting point but branches off into very different directions.  I haven't seen the show but I'll take their word on it.

The characters in the comic have had their lands conquered by someone known only as The Adversary.  (I haven't come across who exactly The Adversary is, although I spoiled it for myself online by trying to get a general sense of the series.  Bah!)  So, the characters escape to New York City and set up their community called Fabletown.  The normal looking characters (Snow White, Boy Blue, Prince Charming, Jack of Beanstalk fame) live in Fabletown but try to avoid any and all interaction with the "mundys" - the mundane, human people.  The animal type characters (Three Little Pigs, Chicken Little) all live upstate on a farm.

Snow White is the Deputy Major and Sheriff Bigby Wolf (aka the Big Bad Wolf), so much of the series follows their exploits as they investigate the murder of Snow White's sister Rose Red, deal with an animal revolt up at The Farm, get invaded by some of The Adversary's forces, seen a mayoral campaign race between Old King Cole and Prince Charming and had a human nearly uncover the secrets of Fabletown.  And there's also a...very interesting pregnancy/childbirth between two odd characters in the mix.  Prince Charming is an asshole who's been divorced three times.  Bluebeard is an arrogant prick bent on becoming insanely wealthy.  Jack is constantly trying to swindle goods from others.  And Sheriff Bigby Wolf has a plethora of secrets he's keeping from everyone.

I really like that you're already familiar with most of these characters.  It's not like, hey, look it's this new superhero in town and here's what they can do.  It's like, hey, it's Cinderella.  Got it.  I also like that all of these characters are immortal so there's no real timeline to stick to.  I'll definitely put a few more of the trade paperbacks on my birthday list 'cause this has been a really interesting series so far.  Can't wait to see how the whole Adversary thing is revealed, too!

No comments: