Monday, April 28, 2008

Confessions From Corporate America

At my old job, I was incredibly burned out and making good progress on getting out of there. So long as I worked 8 hours, I was fortunate enough to set my own schedule. Initially, I came in at 8, but eventually I switched to 7 just so I could get the misery over with earlier. The only other person that came in early was the guy next to me, and he was inconsistent. I had somewhere between 10 minutes to an hour unsupervised every morning and my department was downstairs, away from everyone else. In my final weeks, I made it a personal goal to see what I could get away with.

So here's my confession - I watched the entire first season of LOST (24 total episodes) on work time. I kept them at my desk and watched a little bit each day. Given the time other people came in and my monitor not being visible from the door to our department, it was incredibly easy. I'm not incredibly proud of this fact but in an age where some companies monitor every single activity your computer does, it was pretty amazing. Part of me felt good to get away with something so outrageous. It was a mental middle finger after being miserable and underpaid for the better part of my employment.

I would much rather be busy and have the time and days fly by (as I'm typing this entry during a slow period at my current job), but I'm glad Jack, Sawyer and Locke were there to keep me company.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I did a lot of freelance stuff while at my first job because they couldn't give me enough work. Misery.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

sawyer is indeed good company ;)

Carrie said...

People do that all the time here...I don't think anyone particularly cares as long as they also get their work done.