Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Little Background

My interest in stand-up comedy developed for a few years before I did anything about it. I got hooked watching Comedy Central Presents on Friday nights - they usually run a 4-hour marathon. It fascinated me that each half hour was a comic that was (fairly) unique. Each had their own style of telling a joke, their own perspective and insights on topics. It seems so diverse yet there is something unifying at the same time.

I took a stand-up comedy class in the summer of 2006 where we developed a 7-minute act. We had weekly classes, practiced our act, refined it, and got to perform for whoever showed up that first night. Mostly friends and family, of course. That first night would have to rank as one of my Top Three Moments performing stand-up. Also on the list would be the first time I hosted, which was kind of stressful but a lot of fun.

Number three would have to be when I opened up the Friday night show at The Comedy Store. The opening spot is typically referred to as "taking the bullet" because no one wants to do it. I always enjoyed the challenge and on this particular night, I nailed it. The crowd was hot, my timing was great and when I was done, I knew I killed 'em. I got backstage and at least 7 other comics watching me from back there came up and gave me congratulations, and thanks for starting the night off. The next 6 comics went out and killed, too. You'd be surprised how quickly a crowd can turn on you, so it's an important thing to build momentum and keep it going.

So there's a little info on my background as a comedian. By day, I'm a graphic designer working for corporate America, which will be a semi-regular topic, I'm sure. By night, I play Guitar Hero III on Medium and rock the thousands of fans that show up at my home.

'Til next time.

No comments: