Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hollywood Revelation: Fat Characters Like to Eat

Weeks ago, I saw the film 21 and I'm sure this is no surprise, but I have a complaint about it. To get the obvious out of the way, yes, the book was far better and yes, the casting of white actors when the majority of the true story involved Asian-Americans kinda bugged me. But onto my other complaint.

Apparently Hollywood can't figure out anything for overweight actors to do in scenes other than eating something.

The movie has a role played by actor Josh Gad. He's not in the movie much, and in two (perhaps three?) scenes, his character Miles is shown eating junk food. In one scene, he comes into Ben's dorm room, immediately grabs a box of Ding-Dongs, lays down and starts munching. It added nothing to the story whatsoever and seemed to be there just so the character had something to do. If he's there to hang out, how about showing him...just talking to his friend, perhaps? If a character is doing something besides talking, how about making it something insightful, something that adds to his character. Instead of clubbing us upside the head with this "revelation" - Oh look, he's heavy, he likes to eat. Now I get fully understand his character. He could pick up a CD and say "Coldplay sucks" and then we know his character dislikes Coldplay.

It was so unnecessary and one dimensional in this film. It's not like you see a shirtless Bruce Wayne running on the treadmill just because Christian Bale is in good shape. Be more creative, Hollywood! If I can steal something from my friend Adri - Hollywood, I shake my fist at you!!

1 comment:

PunkRoqPrncess said...

in 'batman begins' shirtless bruce wayne dropped to the floor and did x amount of pushups :D i think i learned a lot about his character, that he likes to stay in shape so he can fight crime! w00t shirtless christian bale :D