Tuesday, May 24, 2011

ArtWalk

I recently went to my first Art Walk in downtown Los Angeles.  I had heard about it here and there, and known it was a massively popular.  We had also heard from 2 friends personally who said it was good and we finally had a free Thursday to check it out.

So it's basically a once a month gathering in downtown LA where a bunch of galleries are open at night.  Multiple parking lots are set up with food trucks, live music and it's this huge social gathering.  I personally didn't really like any of the art I saw and the sheer number of people walking around made me a bit paranoid.

I was walking down the street and at one point, noticed a syringe lying on the ground.  (Hey, I used to use those to inject my insulin each day, so I notice them.)  I thought it was weird and then I saw a guy standing near it.  I thought to myself, "Grrrreat, this guy is going to pick up a random syringe because, hey, it's free!"  Well, said guy walked past me a few minutes later on his cellphone and I could hear him say, "Sorry, I dropped my heroin, I had to go back and pick it up."  Awwwwesome.

Most of the art fell into that "mildly interesting but I would never buy it/hang it" category.  Some of the live music was entertaining, and it was good to have a completely different experience in downtown Los Angeles.  So anyway. I wasn't blown away by my first Art Walk experience but I would go again to give it another shot.

No comments: