Monday, May 30, 2011

Food Trucks

So at the Art Walk I mentioned previously, there were a ton of those food trucks in parking lots.  Food trucks have become something of a phenomenon in major cities like Los Angeles and I'm still not sure I get the big deal about them.  I think my major apprehension has to do with our two failed attempts to eat at a food truck - first, at the disasterful food truck festival in downtown that was overcrowded, and secondly, trying to find the Kogi truck at 10:00 at night only to see a 45-minute wait line queue up in a matter of minutes. I think it's also weird because you get your food and you have nowhere to go eat it.  At both places in downtown and where we saw the Kogi trucks, your only choice is to stand on the street and uncomfortably (I assume) eat it.

Anyway, back to my original point.  The majority of these food trucks seem to operate on the notion of fusion food.  Unfortunately, fusion food in Los Angeles mostly consists of taking one ethnic food (preferably Asian), shoving it into a tortilla and calling it a taco.  You're genius, Los Angeles.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I agree with you on the fushion part and having no where to sit. But when you eat at a roach coach, where do you sit? For me, having no where to sit is part of the experience. I usually end up eating in my car and making a picnic.

And the reason the lines are so long is because their food is that good. Especially the Grilled Cheese truck. Yes I know, grilled cheese. How good can it be? Fucking amazing is all I have to say! I have never had anything bad at their truck, even when I've had to make my own grilled cheese.

If you really want to experience one of the trucks and not wait an ion, I suggest going on a weeknight. Any time they are at a festival or a main street on a weekend it will be madness. But often they will be in your city on a week day with a short line.