Monday, April 14, 2008

Actual E-Mail to Borders

Inspired by Bean's Strongly Worded Letters.

Greetings Borders,

I have been a fan of your book stores for several years now. There are 2 conveniently located near my house, the rewards program is nice and who doesn't love a Borders coupon in their e-mail inbox?

However, I'm sad to report I had my first bad experience at a Borders store this past weekend. I was in San Diego with my girlfriend and we were early for our dinner reservation. So, we decided to stop in at Borders and spend some time browsing around and relaxing, as we have always felt welcome to do so.

We looked around our favorite sections for 20 minutes before deciding to relax in the cafe. My girlfriend was in the chair right next to me perusing a book, and I decided to shut my eyes and nap for a few minutes. About 8 minutes into my very rewarding and refreshing nap, an employee from the Cafe approached and loudly asked "EXCUSE ME SIR, WOULD YOU LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE?"

While I appreciated his concern for my needs, I found it very rude. I declined the offer and a moment later, was sincerely upset he interrupted my rest from the warm Saturday afternoon of walking around San Diego all day. If approaching customers is standard policy, I can assure you this particular employee did not ask anyone else sitting nearby if they needed a cup of coffee.

I can assure you I am employed full time and was showered and well-dressed this past Saturday. I am not a vagrant looking for a chair to crash on for the entire day. I can also assure you I am not one of those people that pulls out a book and sits and reads in the cafe for 2 hours each day, without purchasing anything. I understand Borders is not a library. Does Borders have a policy against naps in its cafe?

As I said, I have always felt welcome and have enjoyed my shopping experiences at Borders, up until this point. If you can provide any kind of feedback on this situation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,
Chris

-----
Follow up to this afternoon's e-mail: I got a very nice response from Borders customer care, saying they apologized for this employee's actions. Whoohoo Borders!!!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, I'm surprised you got a response!

addy said...

Sounds like there are some a-holes working at the Borders in SD!

Tyler said...

You should have told the coffee jockey, "No, but I'd love a nice warm glass of Shut The Hell Up". It's worked for me in the past.

word verification:
ieuwssup (eww whats up)

PunkRoqPrncess said...

what a douche.