Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wedding Websites

With my wedding coming up shortly, we've talked about doing one of those websites. I've been opposed to it mostly due to privacy issues. Think about most of those sites and the amount of information given away - full names of bride, groom and the wedding party, dates and locations of events, and registry lists that frequently have a "ship to home address" option if you purchase online. That's an incredible amount of information to just give away to strangers if you want to set up something fun for your family and friends to see.

By the way, I found all of those examples by simply Googling a random first name, followed by "wedding website." Incredibly easy.

I think we're going to do a very simple website without full names or any mention of dates. It's going to be a sub-section of my own personal site so I think it nearly impossible for someone to just randomly come across. I understand people are excited about their wedding and doing a website can be fun, but it makes me wonder how many people snoop around for private information on these things. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm a frayed knot.

3 comments:

addy said...

I can't imagine anyone snooping for your info, but it is amazing how much is out there. Sean likes to keep his Internet presence to zilch, and I'm sure there are lots of people out there who don't want their info easily found.

Tyler said...

I just found out that I'm listed on a site that has all of the owners of the HOA I'm in and it lists your unit number and how much you paid for it. Really not happy about that.

Carrie said...

At The Knot site, you can just make your private information private with a guest password.