Thursday, June 5, 2008

Elephino

After recently reading about an animal known as the wholphin (offspring of a dolphin and false killer whale), I was curious about other animal hybrids. Mother Nature is indeed a maaaaaad scientist! There's a cama (camel and llama), a slew of panthera hybrids (including ligers, tiguars and leopons - oh my!) and my personal favorite, the zonkey (zebra and donkey)!!!

Anyway, it got me thinking about what animal hybrids I would create, if given an enormous zoo and gene-splicing know-how. Even though it's the punchline of a children's joke, I would love to see an elephino. I already adore elephants and honestly, the only thing that would make them cooler is more pointy things. Throw a horn on and there we go. If I could make a marketing campaign for the elephino, its tagline would be: Three Prongs of Justice. I know animals aren't usually marketed and how much justice it would serve is debatable, but someone call up Dr. Mindbender and tell him I just struck gold.

What animal hybrids would you like to see?

3 comments:

Dani said...

I can't believe the amount of zebra hyrids, all called Zebroids! Zebrass, ha!

Zebra (stallion) + horse (mare): zorse, zebra mule, zebrule or golden zebra
Zebra (stallion) + pony (mare): zony
Zebra (stallion) + Shetland pony (mare): zetland
Zebra (stallion) + any ass species (jenny): zebrass
Zebra (stallion) + donkey (jenny): zedonk, zeedonk, zonkey, zebronkey, zebadonk
Zebra (mare) + donkey (sire): zebret, zebrinny
Zebra (mare) + horse (stallion): hebra

Jenny said...

I guess those zebras get around. Racially, they're pretty cool.

Dolce said...

I've seen a Zonkey! No kidding. When I was a kid my parents took me to Grant's Farm and the animals there are allowed to roam together in designated areas and they produced a ZONKEY!!! I didn't know they were so rare. I kind of feel special.