Friday, June 13, 2008

Steve

I'm not really friends with any of my neighbors at my apartment building, although most of them are nice. The weekend I moved in, I met the guy that lives next to me. He's middle-aged, Middle Eastern...and he thinks my name is Steve. I must have met him as I was moving boxes or lifting a couch, and he heard Steve. It's been 3 years and I haven't had the heart to correct him, mostly because I don't have a single clue what his name is. I couldn't understand him because of his accent and I have a terrible memory, so it's not like I would remember.

It makes me cringe a little because this guy could not be any nicer. Every time I see him, he gives me a boisterous "Good morning, Steve! How are you?" *sigh*

I may have come up with a solution on how to bring it up. This is how I imagine the conversation going:

Guy: Hello Steve, how are you?
Me: I'm good, Bob. How are you?
Guy: My name's not Bob.
Me: Well, my name's not Steve.

Steve and Bob then share a laugh, and find out each other's real names.

Cut. End scene.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Funny coincidence, because my next-door neighbor finally introduced himself last week and his name is Steve.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

steve, this reminds me of a Friends episode when chandler's coworker keeps calling him toby but chandler doesnt have the guts to correct him.

Jenny said...

Maybe you could plant some of your mail at his house and then check with him and see if he got your mail? That's how I found out that the lady across the street (who knows my name) is actually named Barbara.