Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Loving Memory

I don't know if this is a California thing, but it's the only place I've seen it. People put those tribute stickers on the back windshield of their cars, as shown in the acompanying photo. I've never quite understood them. Don't think I'm some heartless jerk - I absolutely think we should cherish those who have passed away. But doesn't Grandma deserve a better tribute than the back window of your Ford Explorer? Is the entire car dedicated to the deceased, or is it just the back window? What if someone else passes away - do they get a separate car, or can you just put a sticker on the gear shift knob? For a more fitting (and lasting) tribute, why not plant a tree that will grow for dozens of years? Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

4 comments:

addy said...

Oh wow, how funny. I was totally thinking about writing a post on this the other day. These things bug me to no end. So, someone you loved died and you mourn by buying a car?

Well, it's too bad dear old grandma isn't around anymore, but look at my shiny new car! I'd better put a sticker on it so people don't think I'm just taking advantage of the money she left me...

Ridiculous! I get it if someone died by driving a car, or being hit by a car, but couldn't you think of a better way to memorialize them than a STICKER? Come on...

Chris said...

Feel free to blog about it, too! I'd love to hear more of your rant. :) But, it's good to hear I'm not alone. If you're doing a tribute, people deserve better than a piece of vinyl stuck to the back of a car.

Tyler said...

What happens when they sell the car? Do they guilt the buyer into keeping it on the car?

Dani said...

I thought this was a tacky way of people saying, "Hey look what I bought with my inheritance. Thanks, Grandma!"