Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Time Travel

Let me start off by saying I am not some genius-level physics expert. I am, however, a comic book dork and I think that qualifies me to speak about the topic of time travel. It's used pretty frequently in the TV show Heroes which, generally speaking, I love.

Spoiler alert for Heroes! In the Season 3 premiere, we have two time traveling characters - Peter who comes back from the future to stop something, and Hiro in the present day, who happened to screw up history last season. Let's address Future Peter first - he comes back in time and successfully prevents an event from happening that ruins his future. So, at that exact point, the timeline he came from should cease to exist, right? If that event never happened, then the course of events is altered and that Future Peter as we've known him in the last 5 minutes should cease to exist. But...he's still there. And still messing with stuff in the present day.

Now, onto Hiro - in last night's episode, he had something stolen from him, and needed to get it back. So, why doesn't he just go back in time to 3 seconds after it was stolen and steal it right back? I know Hiro said he didn't want to go to the past anymore, but he goes to the future. If you have time traveling powers, you essentially have unlimited redos. I would imagine each time you go back or forward and do something, that creates a different timeline. The course of events is changed each time, so there have to be at least 428 different timelines within the Heroes universe at this point.

Ugh, I'm getting a headache just typing this. Never mind.

3 comments:

addy said...

Your headache = why I can't watch that show.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

maybe future peter just has a lot of time on his hands :P

Tyler said...

Time travel is...complex. Unless he causes the end of the world, I don't think Peter would cease to exist as long as he still exists in the future. I would think that his memories would change though, so he should be able to figure out where current-timeline Peter is on the road-trip he's on with all of those villians, because he already found them. If that makes any sense.

Because of Heroes, time travel is a hot button issue. In the debates on Friday, I hope they ask each candidate what their stance on time travel is.