Monday, March 1, 2010

JD

I start serving jury duty on Monday and with any luck, I'll be called in to report. (I'm typing this blog and setting it to publish in advance so hopefully I'm in a jury pool by the time this is published.) For some bizarre reason, I've always wanted to serve on a jury. I know everyone complains about how they don't get paid for it, and it just messes up their work routine and all that. The fact is, work sucks for most everyone these days. This is a chance to get out of the office, see some strangers and strange things and hopefully sentence someone to life in prison for hanging those God awful banners on freeway overpasses. God bless America.

4 comments:

addy said...

:-) Good luck with jury duty! I've been called about 5 times since I turned 18, and served on a drunk driving case when I was 19. It was kind of rad. I'd totally do it again, if it was a short trial. Because seriously, my office falls apart when I'm gone too long. (Both a blessing and a curse...)

Tyler said...

Have fun.

I don't get the "it doesn't pay" thing, doesn't everyone's work pay for at least two weeks? Unfortunately, everywhere I've worked pays the max, but I usually never get called in.

I try and schedule mine for times where students and teachers are off; the beginning of summer, Thanksgiving, Winter break, etc. They're so flooded with people that you keep calling and they never want you to come because they already have too many people.

Jenny said...

I have been on a jury before and I mostly enjoyed the experience, other than the trial going on for longer than expected (I think it was supposed to be 3-5 days and it ended up being almost 2 weeks) and not getting paid for ANY days. But everyone else in the office was out at a tradeshow and I thought it was a superb reason to drive to Santa Monica every day and have lunch by the beach.

Anyway, if you're in the downtown LA area, you should contact Gavin and go out to lunch.

Chris said...

Only 1 of the 3 companies I've worked for paid for jury duty. Sadly, my current employer does not. Actually, my current employer hardly pays for anything but that's another topic.