Monday, March 29, 2010

Shelf Life

With the exception of my favorite band, I've come to realize all of my most loved bands have a shelf life. They all seem to hit a point where I think, "I don't need any more new albums from you." Bands I really loved have put out new albums and I have yet to pick them up. Worse than that, I have no interest in hearing them at all. I've reached this point with Fastball, Third Eye Blind, 311, Seven Mary Three and several other bands I loved once upon a time. All of those bands have new albums that I have yet to pick up. I think there just comes a point where you don't need more than 25 Third Eye Blind songs. (Okay, maybe more like 14.)

Does anyone else feel like their favorite bands have a shelf life?

4 comments:

addy said...

Some bands yes, some no. Like, I used to LOVE Lifehouse and Stroke 9 when I was in high school and college, and now I will maybe sample their stuff, but won't rush out to get it. But for me, I more go through cycles. Rock this week, pop next week, old school punk the week after. So I recycle my music a lot.

Tyler said...

I agree, and I think you had an older post about it, but I've been listening to older stuff lately. And by "old" I mean from the '90s. And the '80s. And the '70s.

I think the only band that doesn't have an expiration date with me is Tool, but that's because they take five years to put out an album. And their stuff is always pretty amazing; probably because it takes them five years.

Tyler said...

Chris, where are you on this current trend of "Hey, our original singer died, but that was like 10-15 years ago and our solo/new band career is failing, so we need to get the band back together with some new guy that sounds like our old singer and record a new album so we can tour and make money". I've heard some of that new Alice In Chains and Sublime stuff and it's all terrible.

Also, man, if I was a teenager nowadays, I don't know what I'd do because everything is either the Black Eyed Peas or Justin Bieber or autotune. The only new album I've bought in the last year or so was Them Crooked Vultures.

Chris said...

The bands with new lead singers thing is pretty lame. I kept rolling me eyes when they interviewed Sublime on Kevin & Bean and they were talking about how the timing was right to get back together. Um...no. It's because you didn't have much else going on.

That said, though, I do like the song or two I've heard from Alice in Chains. I think Cantrell sang in a lot of AiC's songs so it doesn't sound too different. The reasoning behind it is the same as Sublime's. I guess I just like Alice better.