Thursday, April 15, 2010

Captain America

So, they announced the casting of Chris Evans in the role of Captain America for his upcoming movie. I know that my loyal blog readers (both of you) are just dying to know my thoughts, so let's discuss.

Overall, I'm okay with it. Ideally, my first choice to play Cap would be Bruce Willis, or perhaps Kiefer Sutherland. But both of those actors are probably too old for the part. This is going to be a period film, set during World War II and they need someone on the younger side. Chris Evans has played serious roles before - even though I didn't like the movie, he did a really good job in Sunshine.

What I'm more irritated by has been the backlash from the fans who are complaining that because he played Human Torch in the Fantastic Four films, he can't also be Captain America. I have been reading some outrage on Marvel's Facebook page who say this casting crushes the hopes of a Fantastic Four / Avengers movie...which was never going to happen in all honesty. 20th Century Fox owns the film rights to FF, Marvel Studios is producing Avengers and Captain America. The only way their could be a crossover is if Fox lets the film rights expire and Marvel picks them back up, at which point, they would maybe consider a crossover 10-15 years from now when the actors would be too old and they would probably re-cast anyway. So who cares.

And as far as him playing another comic book character, Ryan Reynolds did it first when he played Hannibal King in Blade: Trinity and then Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. Did people complain about this killing the chances of a Blade / X-Men crossover? No. Halle Berry has been both Storm and Catwoman. Ray Stevenson was the Punisher and now he's in the Thor movie. Rebecca Rojmin was in The Punisher and X-Men. Again, so who cares.

I honestly didn't know if Robert Downey Jr. was the right choice to play Iron Man, but once I saw the trailers and the finished product, there's no doubt they did an awesome casting job. I'm cool with Chris Evans for now and will wait to reserve judgment until I see the final product, which is very un-fanboy like of me.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

I'm kind of indifferent. My only knock on Evans (which is probably what the message boards are full of) is that he has played a lot of snarky roles in the past, so it's hard for me to take him seriously, and Cap is a stoic, serious character.

He's in a bad spot because he's going to have to knock this thing out of the park on his first swing because everyone's going to rip on him if he doesn't. All he really needs to do is a decent job, because I think the storytelling can take care of the rest. But I think that no matter how great or poor of a job he does, people are still going to rip him apart.

I'm going into it with zero expectations, so hopefully he'll do a decent job and it will be entertaining.

addy said...

From a purely girl point of view - at least he's cute.

:-)

I'll actually see this movie, bc of how much you like Cap America!