Friday, April 9, 2010

Song Meanings

Even though I consider myself a big fan of music, I have little to no idea what most songs are about. In fact, whenever I read a quote from the songwriter, my frequent reaction is "What? Really?"

I guess I don't even think about the meaning behind the lyrics. Sometimes the meaning is kind of cool and makes the song better - like finding out Sister Hazel's "Champagne High" is about the singer attending his ex-girlfriend's wedding and being okay with it.* And sometimes it makes the song weird, like finding out Sarah McLachlan's "Posession" is actually about crazed stalker fans.

Do you try to figure out the meaning behind songs? Does it add anything to a song when you know its intending meaning?

* - the meaning is pretty clear from the music video, which I had never seen until I looked for it while writing this blog post. Also, I'm not sure why, but the singer in the video looks like an UltraDouche.



2 comments:

Jenny said...

I never pay attention to the meaning of songs. To me, the vocals are another instrument in the band.

When I used to work with Stephanie, we both got the Dido CD at the same time and listened to it at our respective desks. One day at lunch, we were talking about the CD and she said, "Oh, I really like the song where the fisherman goes out to fish and he dies," or something like that. And I said, "What are you talking about?! There is no song on the CD that is about a fisherman!" And then I went back and listened and found out that there totally was.

Gavin's the same way. He listens to the lyrics and can't stand songs that either don't make sense or are saying dumb things. I never, ever pick up on that stuff.

Chris said...

I think I'm the same way, Jenny. It's just another part of the song to me -- unless I consciously focus on the lyrics and try to figure out the meaning.

Sometimes one line in the song will strike me as being poorly written, then I'll focus in on the rest of the lyrics to see if the entire song sucks.