Saturday, April 3, 2010

Zombieland

I finally had a chance to watch Zombieland over the weekend and I really liked most of it. I think there's one point in the movie where the characters do something so stupid that the movie jumps the shark. I'll go ahead and throw in a SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't seen it yet, but basically what happens is these two girls travel to an amusement park they loved as kids. They have heard the park is zombie-free, and they arrive at nighttime. At this point, the movie gets ridiculous as they decide it's a great time to turn on the power to the whole place to go on the rides. Rather than wait for daylight just in case there are zombies around, they turn on a shitload of lights and power which attracts every single zombie in 10-mile radius.

From a movie-making standpoint, I'm guessing they did this because it's easier to film an amusement park when it's nighttime. No one is there, you have all night, etc. But from a story-telling standpoint, these girls have been very crafty and careful to stay alive in a world overrun by frickin' zombies that their decision makes zero sense.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Yeah, I was saying the same thing in the theater, I overall, I thought it was pretty good. I think I heard they're going to make a sequel. I'm in.