Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In Case of Apocalypse

I don't know where or how this started, but I love apocalyptic movies and books. I'm currently reading a young adult book series (shut up) that deals with an underground city after mankind nearly eliminates itself. The first book in the series, City of Ember, is coming out as a movie in October. I really enjoyed the 28 Days / Week Later films, and even though the ending kinda sucked, I liked I Am Legend.

I'm not sure why this genre intrigues me so. I think part of me sees these films and stories as guidelines for what to do in the event of apocalypse, zombie takeover or the rise of Cyberdyne Systems. I'm pretty safe in my current location - I live within walking distance of a police station (shotguns) as well as a Costco (massive food supplies). I think a part of me would be cool with a small zombie outbreak, as long as it attacked morons and people with the last names Hilton and Winehouse.

I previously was a fan of The Terminator series until someone pointed out to me (apologies, I forget who) that if the Terminators wanted to wipe out mankind, why didn't they go back to like the caveman days when we just figuring out how our thumbs worked?

5 comments:

Cuz'n Matt said...

But if the Terminators wiped out humans before the rise of Cyberdyne Systems, would there still be Terminators? And the big question is: Are the Terminators part of The Matrix?

Tyler said...

I can let you borrow my copy of The Zombie Survival Guide. It's very informative.

And yeah, there's a grandfather paradox involved with going back to the stone ages and change things.

Chris said...

Ah yes, the grandfather paradox. I knew there was something I forgot to research. So I guess the Terminators just needed Cyberdyne to be around and then they could wipe out Connor.

Tyler said...

Yeah, that's why they keep trying to kill Connor or his Mom, because he leads the resistance and the resistance is what ends up destroying them.

That movie should be pretty dope though, I hope they show the events leading up to when they sent all of those Terminators back in time.

Also, nice picture of my favorite X-men villain. They haven't used him a whole lot lately and that annoys me.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

in the event of the apocalypse i think everyone would have raided costco because they are all prob thinking the same thing you are - massive food supplies. so i suggest you get there early.