Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sk8er Crap

I remember this incredibly disturbing story from a few years ago - Paramount Pictures optioned the song "Skater Boy" by Avril Lavigne to be made into a movie. (The actual song title is spelled "Sk8er Boi" but I refuse to type it that way more than once.) Yes, you read that right - they optioned a song for a film. What is the song about that intrigued Paramount execs so much? It's about the failed courtship between a skater boy and a preppy girl. The girl likes the guy, but rejects his advances out of peer pressure and regrets it later once he is famous. This isn't some 18-minute ballad detailing the Invasion of Normandy or the history of the Buffalo Soldiers...it's a 3 1/2 minute pop song by an annoying Canadian.

Some of the genius lyrics include lines like: "He was a boy / She was a girl / Can I make it anymore obvious?" and also: "He was a skater boy / She said see ya later, boy" What in the hell was Paramount thinking???

Out of boredom and a random jarring of my brain, I looked it up on Wikipedia today, and here's what it says: "In 2003, Paramount Pictures optioned the song for adaptation into a feature film. However, as of April 2008, the film has apparently been abandoned or is stuck in development hell."

If you ever needed proof there is a God, please reference the latest development on this project.

3 comments:

PunkRoqPrncess said...

that sounds horrible. i'm glad it got canned.

addy said...

Hehehehe thank God. Because knowing my office, we'd probably try to acquire it for air.

Ken Napzok said...

See... this is why we're on the same team, Chris. I actually wrote an article about that for tinymixtapes.com when that happened. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I'm glad to see that the movie will never see the light of day.