Friday, August 22, 2008

Joo-know!

Yeah, I know I'm late in seeing this but finally watched it last night. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. Overall, it was pretty good for a science fiction movie. Parts of it were cute and funny, but it left out so much of the emotion of teenage pregnancy. For the entire movie, it's like no big deal that Juno is pregnant. "Oh, I'm pregnant. I'll just keep going to school and give the kid away." There was very little struggle or emotion with that decision, and Juno seems so matter-of-fact about everything. She's sixteen!

Which brings me to my next critique - no sixteen year old talks like that! Even weird, indie "unique" ones in Minnesota! Plus, I highly doubt any kid these days would be dropping a Thundercats reference, let alone know what Thundercats is. Overall, an okay movie but nothing I would rave about or put on my Top Ten list like so many critics did.

Definitely the funniest part of the movie is when Juno is thinking about the prospective parents for her children and says: "I want something a little edgier. I was looking for, maybe, a thirty-something graphic designer with a cool Asian girlfriend who kicks ass on the bass guitar, but I don't know, I don't wanna get too particular."

I'm a 30 year old graphic designer with an Asian fiancée that kicks ass at Guitar Hero. If we were in the market for a baby from a 16 year old Minnesotan in a science fiction movie, I'd know where to look.

4 comments:

addy said...

Sean had the same reservation as you do - no kid talks like that. I liked it. Except, I absolutely hate that it kind of romanticizes teen pregnancy. Ever since my sister watched it she's been talking about how "cute" it is to be pregnant. She's 16. I don't like it.

Tyler said...

So you're saying that the kids weren't saying stuff like "Honest to Blog" before this movie came out?

Chris said...

Definitely agree with you, Adri. It's definitely not "cute" to be pregnant at 16. Honest to blog, it's not!

PunkRoqPrncess said...

i initially thought of this movie as "funny" and "entertaining" but the more i think about it the less enthused i am about it - especially after reading adriana's comment! it made me think, "yea kids are probably like,'yea unprotected sex is okay - cause its not that hard to be preggers AND i dont have to take care of it - no biggie'"

bleh! stupid media.