Friday, August 29, 2008

My Two Dads

The classic 1987 television show My Two Dads came up as a topic of conversation the other day with friends. My fiancée wasn't familiar with it, so I had to fill her in on the premise - a teenage girl's Mom dies and she goes to live with two guys, one of which is her biological father. She never finds out which one is, so they raise her together. One is the cool, hip artistic Dad (Greg Evigan) and the other is a more white collar worker (Paul Reiser).

What a great way to remember your Mom - that she was a whore who doesn't even know which guy got her pregnant. And what a way for two guys to become best friends and roommates - they both slept with the same woman! Sadly, the comic hilarity lasted for only 3 seasons.

I actually appreciate the silly concept of a show that could be solved with a DNA test in 3 to 10 business days. Sadly, I don't think TV could produce shows like this, or Gilligan's Island, these days. I kind of miss that campy quality about TV, although I don't think My Two Dads was meant to be. They're trying to make TV so smart these days. How dare you, Hollywood.

4 comments:

Tyler said...

According to the wikipedia entry: "However, many speculated that neither Michael nor Joey were Nicole's biological father." So her Mom was an even BIGGER hoebag than everyone thought.

PunkRoqPrncess said...

gilligan's island was awesome. they were going on a 3 hour tour but ginger and the howells had their entire wardrobes with them!

addy said...

1) Awesome post. I never watched this show. Guess I didn't miss out on a lot!

2) I am tagging you for "Blog Day" on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I actually watched that show faithfully and really liked it. Please don't think less of me!